Moroccan Spiced Chicken Kabobs with Lemon Yogurt Sauce Suggested Wine Pairing: Cline 2013 North Coast Viognier
Moroccan Spiced Chicken Kabobs with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
Marinating time: 4 hours
GRILLING TIME: 8–10 minutes
Special equipment: metal or bamboo skewers
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced or pushed through a press
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, each about 6 ounces, cut into 1½-inch pieces
2 cups whole-milk Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
½ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pushed through a press
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large bell peppers, 1 green and 1 red, each cut into 1½-inch squares
1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges and separated into layers
1. Whisk the marinade ingredients. Pour ¼ cup of the marinade into a medium nonreactive bowl and reserve for the vegetables. Place the chicken pieces in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally.
2. If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes.
3. Whisk the sauce ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
5. Put the vegetables in the medium bowl with the reserved marinade, and turn to coat. Remove the chicken from the bag and discard the marinade. Remove the vegetables from the bowl. Thread the chicken, peppers, and onion alternately onto skewers.
6. Grill the kabobs over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until the meat is firm to the touch and opaque all the way to the center, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm with the sauce.
©2013 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s New Real Grilling™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.