Pairs With: Cline Marsanne Roussanne
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 50 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
Yield: Serves 5 (serving size: 1 ½ cup)
1. In a large paella pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage, season with salt and pepper, then cook for about 5 minutes set sausage aside on a plate.
2. In the same pan, add the onion, season with a bit of salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add the arborio and sausage back to pan and stir well. Let the rice cook in with other ingredients for about 5 minutes, you will notice it will start to brown on the bottom, which is what you're looking for. Add the broth, smoked paprika, saffron and season with salt and pepper if needed. Stir everything together and cover with a large lid. Cook for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. The rice will not be cooked through at this time.
4. Turn down the heat and stir the rice around a bit, you will notice the crust on the bottom of the pan, that's what you're looking for. Arrange the sausage, shrimp, clams and peas over the rice, cover with a lid again and cook for another 10 minutes or until the mussels and clams open up. (at this point, if rice needs more liquid; about ½ inch covering rice, add more broth
5. Turn off the heat and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.