Paired with: Cline Meadowbrook Zinfandel
Active Time: 10 Mins
Total Time: 2 hours 30 Mins
Yield: 4 – 6 servings (2-3 ribs a person)
- 3 – 4 pounds of pork baby back ribs
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- favorite BBQ sauce (I used Bone Licken’ Sauce found at Whole Foods)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika, sweet or smoked
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and place an oven rack in the middle of your oven.
- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs: use your fingers to get underneath the membrane and loosen it along one side, then pull it off. (It may come off in more than one piece.)
- Season the ribs with salt and black pepper.
- Make the spice rub: in a small bowl, mix all of the spice rub ingredients together until they’re well combined.
- Gently rub the spice mix all over the ribs, making sure to completely cover the ribs in the spices.
- Make a pouch for the ribs: place two layers of aluminum foil down, and place the ribs (meat side up) on the foil, then pull the edges of the foil up around the ribs to wrap them. The pouch needs to be sealed well so that it will keep in the moisture.
- Place the foil pouch on a baking sheet or baking dish and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and open the foil pouch. Turn the oven to broil. Brush the ribs with a good layer of sauce and broil them until the top is caramelized and the sauce is set (about 5 – 10 minutes).
- Allow the ribs to cool slightly before cutting them into individual ribs or sections.