Suggested Wine Pairing: Sonoma Coast Merlot
Made with these products from The Olive Press:
Italian Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
PREP TIME: 25 minutes | CHILLING TIME: about 1 hour | GRILLING TIME: 8–10 minutes
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 filets mignons or beef tenderloin steaks, each 6–8 ounces and about 1¼ inches thick
- 1 tablespoon Italian Blend extra-virgin olive oil
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the vinegar, shallots, 1 tablespoon of the tarragon, and the parsley and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to boil until only a scant tablespoon of the vinegar remains in the saucepan, 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mixture to a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl and press on the solids to extract as much of the vinegar as possible. Reserve the vinegar and transfer the solids to a bowl and let cool.
- To the bowl with the solids add the butter, lemon zest, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, the remaining 2 tablespoons tarragon, and 1 scant teaspoon of the reserved vinegar. Thoroughly blend with a fork. Transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap and roll the mixture into a log about 5 inches long, enclosing the butter completely in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- . Brush the steaks on both sides with the oil and season evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450° to 550°F).
- Grill the steaks over direct high heat, with the lid closed, until cooked to your desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut the butter log crosswise into ½-inch slices. (Rewrap and refrigerate or freeze the leftover butter for another use.) Immediately top each steak with a slice of the butter. Serve warm.
©2013 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s New Real Grilling™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.