Autumn Pumpkin Soup
Pair with: Farmhouse Red
- 1 lb pumpkin
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 lb carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb tomatoes, chopped
- 3 3/4 cups chicken stick
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of sugar
- 12 crispy sage leaves*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut pumpkin in half, remove all seeds
- Bake pumpkin until cooked through (about 1 hr.)
- Let pumpkin cool, remove flesh, and set aside.
- In a stock pot, sauté carrots and onions for 5 minutes
- Add tomatoes and heat through
- Add pumpkin and chicken stock and bring pot to a boil
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover for 20 mins
- Add salt, pepper, and sugar
- Remove from heat and let cool
- Transfer soup to blender and puree until smooth and then return to stock pot to warm
- Serve topped with croutons, crispy sage, and a glass of farmhouse red
*Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add 4 sage leaves and fry for about 5 seconds per side. Do not let leaves brown. Transfer to paper towel. Repeat with remaining leaves.