Pairs With: Cline Pinot Gris
- 2 (28 oz) cans of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 Tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- chicken broth (optional - if you need to thin your soup)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp The Olive Press Chive Olive Oil
- 6 slices white bread
- 3 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
Melt butter in a large sauce pan.
- Pour the tomatoes, onions, and garlic in a large
pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Using an immersion blender/hand blender, blend
Stir in the heavy cream, salt and pepper. Bring
the soup back to a slight boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15
minutes. (Optional: if soup is looking thick, slowly add chicken broth until desired consistency).
While soup is simmering, make croutons: spread
mayonnaise on the outside of all slices of white bread.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet (or non-stick) and
place three slices of bread (mayonnaise side down). Top with slices of cheddar cheese and then the remaining slices of bread (mayonnaise side up).
- Flip when the underside has turned golden brown. Once both sides are golden, cut into thirds in both directions to make small square croutons.
- Serve soup with a drizzle of Chive Olive Oil and top with the grilled cheese croutons.